Sunday, February 24, 2008

Raindrops, Wondercon, Costco & the Oscars

It was supposed to rain, rain, rain last night and today but right now, I can actually see the sun. Not that I'm disappointed but I ran around and did all my errands and outdoorsy stuff yesterday, early in the day, so that I wouldn't be stuck in last night and today's mega-storm. So now the sun is shinning and I've got indoor chores & stuff to do.

Since the Oscars are this evening, I may fork out some $$ to watch Michael Clayton on Pay-Per-View. I haven't seen a single Oscar nominated movie and I probably won't even watch the show start to finish, but I so hate to feel left out.

I made an early am dash to Costco today to get a passport photo for my daughter. It takes all of 60 seconds and cost $4.99 - a great bargin. Unfortunately, I spent $125 on stuff I sort of didn't need - like a body pillow my daughter had to have, a book about clutter and fat asses from that Clean House tv show guy, flats of mandarin oranges, pears, apples and some Mexican cheese & organic salsa. The only really necessary item I bought was some printer ink - also at a great bargin price ($42 for 3). I have to remember not to go to Costco with children or a bar check.

Yesterday morning, we ventured out to Wondercon - a comic book convention that's held at Moscone Center here in the city. It's a definate geek infested event full of grown men in full costume as every comic book character one could possibly imagine. To my son's delight, 4 of the 6 women at the even, were almost nekkid dressed as super sluts. The other two women were me and Chewbacca's groupie - who looked like she'd serviced every band at Woodstock and hadn't yet recovered. Peter Mayhew (aka Chewbacca) was signing autographs as was the women who played the original Lois Lane, Timmy from Lassie and the Incredible Hulk. There was also some of the most amazing artwork. My son bought some prints from a guy who had the most amazing Batman sketch and some killer TMNT prints. He was one of dozens and dozens of very talented artists. The highlight of the morning for me was watching members of the 501 Legion assemble for pictures on the mezzanine. There had to be at least 30 of them - one in the most amazing bounty hunter costume I'd ever seen. Geeks rule.

No comments: