Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Alli the Gator (aka How I Became A Knitter)



39 years ago in Mrs. Caster's 5th grade class, I, along with my 35+ classmates, learned how to knit. We started off making squares which Mrs. Caster stitched into blankets for the poor pagan babies in Alaska. (totally true btw).
I wanted more. The rhythmic clink clink clink of the aluminum needs was somehow soothing to me. Truth be told, I was one of those kids who finished a test in half the time it took everyone else. I did everything fast. So Mrs. Caster obliged when I wanted something more challenging, and most importantly, time consuming. She handed me some purple yarn and a pair of needles and told me what to do. Cast on 6 stitches and knit for 7 rows. Increase here, decrease there. I swear she didn't have a pattern and I was not sure what this was going to look like when finished. I'd complete a few rows and head up to her desk and she'd give me another instruction. Weeks and weeks of stolen moments during class went by and soon I had two pieces of fabric. Mrs. Caster tells me to stay inside during recess and we'll work on sewing and stuffing. Two recesses and one lunch hour later, Alli the Gator was born.
As you can see from the photo, Alli's seen better days. Overjoyed at finding her, I've decided to devote this weekend to give her a makeover....no, a face lift because surgery will definitely be involved. I may even knit her up a playmate.
After 40 years after making her, looking at her ragged ears and dirty belly, she still makes me proud.

No comments: