Sunday, June 04, 2006

Socks, Socks, I need to knit socks

In my 30+ years of knitting I've managed to avoid knitting a single pair of socks. Yesterday my aunt fell and fractured her pelvis and will now be laid up in the hospital for a while. This particular aunt (I've got 8 of them just on my mom's side of the family!) is a crafting goddess. She crochets and sews some of the cutest things on the planet. A little background - we have a big family and have a Christmas party every year that serves as a family reunion. Over 100 attend to a full blown Turkey dinner (which I've cooked every 3 or 4 years). Part of the tradition of this event are contests - shopping bags, deserts, centerpieces, appetizers - all with some sort of prize. Well, when it's Aunt Connie's turn at hosting the party the competition heats up for the contests because her prizes are always something hand made and stunningly clever. One year I won a teeny tiny sewn baby doll inside a hand crochected basket. The entire thing was smaller than my thumb.
Now, with her accident, I want to do something special for her. I'm gonna make her some kick-ass socks. Wool allergies run in my family so it'll have to be cotton so I'll be making a trip to my lys manana to find some amazing sock yarn and a simple pattern so I can hurry the hell up and get Aunt Connie some kick-ass socks to keep her toes toasty while she recovers. Wish me luck!

No comments: