Sunday, May 13, 2007

S.E.W.I.N.G & Memories Of Grandma

I broke out the sewing machine last nite to make some last minute Mother's Day gifts for my mom and my sister. Now that I've got reading glasses, I can actually see well enough to thread the sewing machine. And, the gifts I made gave me a wonderful idea for a new product in my little crafty arsenal. And, I finished stitching up the brick-y purse. I still need to line it but it looks like a purse now.
I'll have pics of both later.
I had forgotten how much I love sewing. My grandmother was the most amazing seamstress. She did make my mom's wedding dress and tons of my clothes as a kid but my favorite was always the potholders & aprons. The aprons always used the same Hawaiian hibiscus fabric in a variety of colors. The potholders were a patchwork of all the fabric she'd used on all her other projects. Grandma died in 1979 and we still have her potholders in our kitchen - and I've got 3 or 4 put away in my hope chest. Every time I look at them, I see pieces of fabric of Irish dancing costumes, summer dresses and my mom's aprons. So now I'm inspired to make some patchwork pieces of my own. :)

No comments: